Abdul Daim is a student from Islamabad who won the GENIUS (Global Environmental Issues-US) Olympiad silver medal held in 2011 as well as a $250,000 scholarship from the State University of New York on his research regarding the industrial pollution.. At the beginning his project (Removal of Pollutants from Industrial Waste Water by usage of Tea Waste) was initially sent to the Pak-Turk School’s head office at Islamabad and then after the project was forwarded to the US
Education[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
His Methodology[edit | hide | edit source]
Abdul Daim along with Shadab Rasool Buriro has presented his project "Removal of Pollutants from Industrial Waste Water by usage of Tea Waste" in the contest held at Genius Olympiad USA . He accumulated used tea, washed it with boiled water until the tea lost all its colour and he then dried it. After then he made mixtures of contents usually found in industrial waste, such as cadmium, lead, nickel and phenol, and then he mixed them with the dried tea. After waiting for 60 minutes Daim and Buriro examined different filtrates obtained by a spectrophotometer and recorded the concentration of each pollutant separately thus the results demonstrated that used tea waste can remove pollutants . did also research project Life without Mosquitoes Using Organic Garlic Spray. Daim has previously worked on different Desalination of Soils Projects and he has been a national winner at the Science Fair held in Islamabad known as Intel ISEF.
However such method for cleaning the water was also used before and a paper was published in the Journal of International Environmental Application & Science regarding the used tea waste that helped remove phenol from industrial waste water in United States of America.He has worked in the laboratory in Comsats University Islamabad for publishing his final Thesis. He along with shabad Rasool Buriro also published a paper in the Sindh University Research Journal on how used tea waste could remove arsenic from aqueous solutions, whereas the Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering did also researched on waste tea for the removal of pollutant agents from the water.
Recognition[edit | hide | edit source]
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- "Did You Know Pakistanis Did This?". PakWired - Latest Startup and Technology News from Pakistan. 2014-09-20. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Rayyan, Ahmed (2012-06-29). "Pakistani student bags silver medal in international competition | TheNewsTribe". TheNewsTribe. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Khairpur student wins prize for using tea to clean wastewater - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2012-08-19. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Reasons to be a proud Pakistani". Technology Times Pakistan. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- InpaperMagazine, From (2012-08-11). "Uncle PJ Calling: Reasons to be a proud Pakistani". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2017-11-30.