Adam Young (Video Designer)
Adam Young is a British-based video designer specialising in live performance. He has designed shows for global music acts such as Years & Years, Jess Glynne, Bombay Bicycle and Pendulum. He has also designed for theatre, including the 2018 production of Mean Girls the Musical. He has had a Tony Award nomination and his studio; FRAY Studios has won an Olivier Award.
Biography[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Young was born in Plymouth and attended Tamarside Community College which he left in 2007. He was then accepted into the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama where he studied BA Theatre Practise specialising in lighting design gaining a first class honours degree in 2009. Before he left the school, he started working with Finn Ross and later became part of the video collective Mesmer.
In 2015 as a response to being asked to design content for the Rolling Stones: Exhibitionsm, Young and Ross created a new collective of video designers called FRAY Studio. The studio has now designed video on numerous different projects from Broadway to Bletchley Park.
Music[edit | hide | edit source]
- 2018 Years & Years - International Tour - creative direction by Olly Alexander, production and lighting design by Cassius Creative, video design by FRAY Studio (Adam Young).
- 2017 Jess Glynne - International Tour - creative direction by Jolene Henry, production and lighting design by Cassius Creative, video design by FRAY Studio (Adam Young).
- 2017 Pendulum - International Tour - production and lighting design by Cassius Creative, video design by FRAY Studio (Adam Young)
- 2014 Bombay Bicycle Club - International Tour - lighting design by Squib Swain, video and animation by Adam Young and Anna Ginsburg.
Exhibitions[edit | hide | edit source]
- 2017 Opera: Passion, Power and Politics at the Victoria and Albert Museum - video design by FRAY Studio (Adam Young).
- 2016 You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels 1966–1970 at the Victoria and Albert Museum - exhibition design by Nissen Richards Studio, sound design by Carolyn Downing, lighting design by Studio ZNA and video design by FRAY Studio (Finn Ross and Adam Young).
- 2015 Rolling Stones: Exhibitionsm at the Saatchi Gallery - curated by Ileen Gallagher, lighting design by Patrick Woodroffe, sound design by Carolyn Downing and video design by FRAY Studio (Finn Ross and Adam Young).
- 2014 Collider at the Science Museum - video design by FRAY Studio (Finn Ross and Adam Young).
Theatre[edit | hide | edit source]
2018 - Mean Girls the Musical - currently at the August Wilson Theatre, book by Tina Fey, produced by Lorne Michaels, Stuart Thompson and Sonia Friedman, directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw, lyrics by Nell Benjamin, music by Jeff Richmond, costumes by Gregg Barnes, scenic design by Scott Pask, lighting design by Kenneth Posner and video design by Finn Ross and Adam Young.
2018 - Frozen the Musical - currently at the St. James Theatre, book by Jennifer Lee, produced by Disney Theatrical Productions, directed by Michael Grandage, choreographed by Rob Ashford, lyrics and music by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, scenic and costume design by Christopher Oram, lighting design by Natasha Katz and video design by Finn Ross. Head of Animation - Adam Young.
2017 - Bravado play - written and directed by Scottee, video design by Adam Young.
Awards[edit | hide | edit source]
In 2018 Adam Young along with Scott Pask and Finn Ross, was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Scenic Design.
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- "Years & Years at the Roundhouse | Live review". The Upcoming. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Tony Awards: 'Mean Girls,' 'SpongeBob SquarePants' Top List of Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 August 2018.