- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 12 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Adegboyega_Oyetola. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Adegboyega_Oyetola, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Adegboyega_Oyetola.
Adegboyega Oyetola (born, September 29, 1954) is a Nigerian politician. He is currently the Osun State gubernatorial candidate on the All Progressives Congress (APC) platform for the September 22, 2018 gubernatorial election and the current Chief of Staff to Governor Rauf Aregbesola, governor of Osun State.
Early life and Education[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
After his secondary education, he proceeded to the University of Lagos and graduated with a Bachelor of Science honours degree in Insurance in 1978 after which, he proceeded for his mandatory one year national youth service (NYSC) in Potiskum, the capital city of present day Yobe State, where he lectured at the Staff Training Centre between 1978 and 1979. He obtained his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Lagos in 1990.
Career[edit | hide | edit source]
In 1980, Oyetola joined Leadway assurance company Limited as an area manager and worked there till 1987 when he moved on to join Crusader Insurance Company Limited as Underwriting Manager between 1987 and 1990. In 1990, he joined Alliance and General Insurance as Technical Controller and served in that capacity until 1991 when he left the organisation to start his own company, Silvertrust Insurance Brokers Limited. He was Managing Director since its founding until 2011 when he was appointed as Chief of Staff to the Osun State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.
Adegboyega also served as Executive Vice Chairman, Paragon Group of Companies which has interest in Oil and Gas, Mining and Real Estate between 2005 to 2011. He was also Chairman of Ebony Properties Limited. He had been a Director of Pyramid Securities Limited, until 2011, among other business interests. Oyetola is an Associate Member, Chattered Insurance Institute in London and Nigeria. He is also a member of the Nigeria Institute of Management (NIM).
Political career[edit | hide | edit source]
Oyetola was a founding member of Osun state's Alliance for Democracy (AD), and has been in the party through its metamorphosis to Action Congress (AC), Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and now All Progressives Congress (APC). In July 2018, he contested with Osun state House of Representatives deputy speaker Yusuf Lasun and Speaker of the Osun House of Assembly Nojeem Salaam for the All Progressives congress gubernatorial candidacy of the September 22, 2018 gubernatorial election in Osun state and won.
Awards and Recognitions[edit | hide | edit source]
- Distinguished Merit Award by his alma mater, Ifeoluwa Grammar School, Osogbo, February 2014;
- The Guardian Award for Exceptional Chief of Staff in the Federation 2017;
- Distinguished Award of Excellence in Public Administration by Nigeria Union of Journalists, Osun State Council, August 2015;
- Leadership Award for Outstanding Performance by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Osogbo Branch, March 2016;
- Award of Excellence by Osun State University, College of Law, Ifetedo, January 2016;
- Award of Excellence as ICON of Good Governance by Network of Non-Governmental Organisation (NETNOS) State of Osun Branch. November, 2017;
- Award for Exemplary and Exceptional Support and Fellow of Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke, January 2017;
- Grand Patron of the Local Government Chapel of Osun State NUJ, November 2016;
- Leadership Award by International Association of Lions Club, District 404B2, Nigeria, February 2016;
- NAOSS-NHQ Award of Excellence in Administration and Good Governance, May 2016;
- Award of Excellence in Public Administration by Rotary Club of Osogbo, Rotary International, July 2016;
- Meritorious Award by NAOSS, Obafemi Awolowo University Chapter, February 2017;
- African Students Union Parliament (ASUP), Pan-African Distinguished Leadership Honour as Icon of Nation Building in Nigeria 2018.
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- "Alhaji Adegboyega Oyetola - The Official Website Of The State Of Osun". The Official Website Of The State Of Osun. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "BREAKING: Gboyega Oyetola wins Osun APC gov'ship primary - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Celebrating Gboyega Oyetola @63 - The Nation Nigeria". The Nation Nigeria. 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Elitestaff (2018-06-04). "Abridged Profile of Alhaji gboyega Oyetola | EliteThrive". Elitethrive. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "Oyetola wins Osun APC governorship primary". Retrieved 2018-07-30.