- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 22 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Alex_Ozols. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alex_Ozols, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alex_Ozols.
Alex Ozols is a San Diego, California-based trial lawyer. He is the owner of Ozols Law Firm. Alex is currently practicing law as a personal injury lawyer, with a focus on car accidents, wrongful death, medical malpractice, and complex civil litigation. He is best known for his high-profile criminal cases and legal analyst work throughout local and national news networks.
Early life and education[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Alex Ozols was born in Vancouver, British Columbia. He attended Charles E. London Secondary School in Richmond, British Columbia. After high school. Ozols attended the University of British Columbia where he received a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. Ozols relocated to the United States and attended law school at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California where he received his Juris Doctorate degree.
Early career[edit | hide | edit source]
Legal practice[edit | hide | edit source]
Alex Ozols started Ozols Law Firm in 2012. Alex handled some very notable cases, which received significant local and national recognition.
In the fall of 2013, Ozols represented an individual in United States District Court for the Southern District of California who smuggled $3 million worth of Totoaba swim bladders. The defendant smuggled them from Mexico into the United States. The defendant, plead guilty and his explanation was that he was sending them to China disguised as regular fish, for a profit.
After an incident that took place on Christmas night in 2014, Ozols represented a United States Marine with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) who shot through his apartment walls into his neighbor’s apartment after claiming he blacked out from Ambien. The defendant was sentenced to the San Diego veterans court program for treatment.
In 2016, Ozols represented a male United States Marine who was accused of dognapping a female United States Marine’s dog. The woman claimed it was a service dog who she had registered online. The dog was stolen from San Diego and taken to Texas.
Later that same year, Ozols represented Tieray Jones for the early stages of his case including the preliminary hearing. At the time, the San Diego County District Attorney, Bonnie Dumanis, told news networks that this was "without a doubt one of the highest-profile unsolved cases in San Diego County." In 2002 Jahi Turner went missing in a park at a playground in San Diego, when his step-father Tieray Jones told police that he went to get a soda for the young child. When Mr. Jones returned, the child was not there. Mr. Jones was not charged, until 14 years later in 2016. The case against Mr. Jones went to trial in 2017 and the jurors could not come to a verdict. The judge dismissed the case against Mr. Jones. Ozols greeted Mr. Jones as he was set free from jail.
Legal analyst[edit | hide | edit source]
Although Alex Ozols is not a resident legal analyst for any news networks, he has appeared as a television legal analyst for CBS News, CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, Crime Watch Daily, Good Morning Britain, One America News Network, and Newsmax.
In 2017, Ozols provided legal comment when about Cruz Marcelino Velazquez Acevedo, who died at the border crossing near San Diego after border patrol agents forced Cruz to drink a liquid he was carrying that was later found out to be a drug.
Awards and accolades[edit | hide | edit source]
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- "Richmond Review, February 27, 2015". Issuu. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "Meet Alex Ozols of Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego in Mission Valley - SDVoyager - San Diego". SDVoyager - San Diego. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Davis, Kristina. "Smuggler owes $3M for fish bladders". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Graham, Marty. "California authorities target smuggling of bladders from endangered..." U.S. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Perry, Tony (2014-01-02). "Marine pleads not guilty to off-base shooting incident". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- ".44 caliber Christmas". Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Figueroa, Teri. "Ex-husband admits stealing service dog". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Vet's 'Missing' Service Dog Wasn't Stolen: Ex-Husband". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Service dog stolen from Vista found in Texas". Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Stepdad walks free after mistrial in 2002 murder case of 2-year-old Jahi Turner". crimewatch. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Mystery Remains in Hearing on Toddler's Disappearance". 2016-12-07. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Arrest in Killing of Toddler Jahi Turner". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Man arrested in cold case of his missing stepson". Fox News. 2016-04-18. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Judge rules against retrial for accused child-killer". fox5sandiego.com. 2018-03-21. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "No New Trial in Jahi Turner Murder Case: Judge". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Tieray Jones Freed from Custody After Retrial Dismissed". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- CBS News (2017-02-06), Legal battle over President Trump's immigration order, retrieved 2018-05-04
- CBS News (2017-01-31), What the DHS knew about the travel ban, retrieved 2018-05-04
- CBS News (2017-02-11), Feds carry out immigration raid in six states, detaining hundreds, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Ozols Law Firm (2017-02-01), Alex Ozols on CNN Discussing the Newest Executive Order - Ozols Law Firm, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego (2017-07-03), Alex Ozols Discussing Current Laws on MSNBC, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Ozols Law Firm (2016-01-23), Criminal Defense Attorney Alex Ozols on Fox News discussing a proposed new .05 DUI law, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Ozols Law Firm (2017-01-27), Highly Publicized Murder Case Discussed by Ozols Law Firm on Crime Watch, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego (2017-11-02), Personal Injury Lawyer Alex Ozols on Good Morning Britain, retrieved 2018-05-04
- One America News Network (2016-01-07), Former Cop Michael Slager Released on Bail after Walter Scott Death, retrieved 2018-05-04
- Newsmax TV (2015-11-25), Newsmax Prime | Alex Ozols and Israel Ortega discuss whether Syrian refugees can be vetted, retrieved 2018-05-04
- "Online behavior can make you victim". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "Images Capture Teen Drinking Liquid Meth at Border Crossing". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Ozols Law Firm in San Diego, California". Super Lawyers. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Rising Star of the Month". Attorney Journal - Attorney Journal. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "Bringing A Bit of HOLLYWOOD to San Diego". Attorney Journal - Attorney Journal. Retrieved 2018-05-04.