A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alexander Berghaus (born 9 January 1952) is a German specialist in otorhinolaryngology and a university professor of otorhinolaryngology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU). Berghaus is known for his works in the field of otorhinolaryngology, head and neck surgery, and especially facial plastic surgery. In 2001 he was elected to the Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
Biography[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
From 1993 to 2003 Berghaus was a director of the department of otorhinolaryngology, face and neck surgery, and professor of the department of otorhinolaryngology at the Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg. He was dean at the medical faculty there in 1994 and pro-dean from 1996 to 1998. Since 2003 he has been director of the department of otorhinolaryngology at the Medical Campus of the University of Munich and professor of otorhinolaryngology at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. During his career Berghaus has trained several otorhinolaryngological specialists and supervised a number of habilitations.
Scientific contribution[edit | hide | edit source]
In the study for his habilitation project (1986) Berghaus worked on prosthetic tracheal replacement, ear reconstruction and other indications for the use of porous polyethylene (PE) in reconstructive head and neck surgery. Over time, such PE implants have become an alternative to the traditional use of rib cartilage in ear reconstruction with microtia. As an alternative to the classical gold implants for lid loading in facial palsy cases, Berghaus developed platinum chain implants for the upper lid, and was granted a German patent together with Thomas Schrom. With his special interest in nasal surgery and rhinoplasty, Berghaus has investigated the use of implants for this kind of surgery, and has developed a number of newly designed, partly patent-protected instruments. In 2014, Berghaus organized a European Summit Symposium on rhinoplasty in Munich, together with Fazil Apaydin of Izmir, Turkey.
Since 1982, Berghaus has strongly advocated the use of an epithelialized tracheostomy instead of the classical tracheotomy, and has presented the advantages in papers and scientific films. For raising the voice pitch in male-to-female transsexuals, Berghaus in 1993 created a modified cricothyroid approximation, a surgical technique that has since obtained increasingly widespread acceptance.
Publications[edit | hide | edit source]
Honors and awards[edit | hide | edit source]
- 2014 Medal for merit of the German Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and-Neck Surgery
- 2010 Honor Award, American Academy of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)
- 2001 Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 1986 Hans-von-Seemen-Award of the German Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1984 Silver Medal, Scientific film presentation, World congress on Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Miami, Fl, USA
Memberships in international organizations[edit | hide | edit source]
- 2006–2007 President of the German Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- 2001 Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2000–2008 Presidium member of the German Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- 1995 President of the Deutsche Gesellschaft der Plastischen, Rekonstruktiven und Ästhetischen Chirurgen
- 1985 American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)Template:Failed verification
- 1984 American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)Template:Failed verification
- 1983 European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS; „The Joseph Society“)Template:Failed verification
- 1980 German Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head-and-Neck-Surgery
[edit | hide | edit source]
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- Staudenmaier, Rainer, ed. (3 May 2010). Aesthetics and functionality in ear reconstruction (Advances in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Vol.68). Basel: Karger. p. Preface VII. ISBN 978-3805593168.
- A. Berghaus CV
- A. Berghaus: Porous polyethylene in reconstructive head and neck surgery. In: Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 111, 1986, 1985, S. 154–160.
- A. Berghaus: Poröses Polyethylen in der rekonstruktiven Kopf-Hals-Chirurgie. (Porous polyethylene in the reconstructive head and neck surgery.) Hippokrates, Stuttgart 1988, ISBN 3-7773-0898-6.
- T. Braun, S. Gratza, S. Becker, I. Schwentner, K. Stelter, M. Patscheider, A. Berghaus, J. M. Hempel: Auricular reconstruction with porous polyethylene frameworks: outcome and patient benefit in 65 children and adult. In: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 126(4), 2010, S. 1201–1212.
- T. Braun, J. M. Hempel, A. Berghaus: Developmental disorders of the ear in children and adolescents— conservative and surgical treatment options. In: Dtsch Arztebl Int. 111(6), 2014, S. 92–97.
- A. Berghaus, K. Neumann, T. Schrom: The platinum chain: a new upper-lid implant for facial palsy. In: Arch Facial Plast Surg. 5(2), 2003, S. 166–170.
- A. Berghaus: New Instruments for Rhinoplasty: Operating Mirror and Alar Guiding Set. In: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 117(7), 2006, S. 2224–2225.
- A. Berghaus, M. Handrock, R. Matthias: Unser Konzept bei Anlage und Verschluß eines Tracheostoma. (Our concept in tracheostomy and its closure). In: HNO. 32, 1984, S. 217–220.
- K. Neumann, C. Welzel, A. Berghaus: Operative voice pitch raising in male-to-female transsexuals. In: Eur J Plast Surg. 25, 2002, S. 209–214.
- Alexander Berghaus CV
- Alexander Berghaus Leopoldina