Alexandre J. M. E. Christoyannopoulos (born 1979) is a French–Greek author and politics lecturer. He currently lectures at Loughborough University, England. Christoyannopoulos graduated in Economics from the University of Kent in 2000, then went on to earn an MA in International Relations and European Studies and a PhD in Religious Studies and Politics from the same university. His books Religious Anarchism: New Perspectives and Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel were the topics of his doctoral thesis.
Christian Anarchism cites Leo Tolstoy as its most notable proponent, but also includes references to Jacques Ellul, Vernard Eller, Dave Andrews, Michael C. Elliott, Nikolai Berdyaev, Adin Ballou, Petr Chelčický, Dorothy Day, Peter Maurin and Ammon Hennacy. In the book Christoyannopoulos concludes the following about Christian anarchism and its place in political thought:
Christian anarchism does share a lot with Christian pacifism, but it goes further, especially by carrying this pacifism forward as implying a critique of the violent state. Christian anarchism also shares a lot with liberation theology especially its insistence that Christianity does have very real political implications. But Christian anarchism is critical of liberation theology's emphasis on human agency, of its compromise with violence, and its lack of New Testament references compared to Christian anarchism. In short, while related to at least two important trends within Christian political thinking, Christian anarchism is more radical than both, and thus provides a unique contribution to Christian political thought...It is a unique political theology, and a unique political theory.
Bibliography[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
- Religious Anarchism: New Perspectives (2009) editor ISBN 1-4438-1132-7
- Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel (2010) ISBN 1-84540-193-X
- Tolstoy's Political Thought (TBA) ISBN 0-415-60402-8
- Essays in Anarchism and Religion (editor, with Matthew Adams, 2017) ISBN 978-91-7635-041-6 (EPUB), ISBN 978-91-7635-042-3 (Mobi), ISBN 978-91-7635-043-0, (paperback), ISBN 978-91-7635-040-9 (PDF), Template:Doi
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- Christoyannopoulos, Alexandre (2010). Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel. Exeter: Imprint Academic. p. 294.
Christian anarchism's original contribution
[edit | hide | edit source]
- Official website
- Template:Internet Archive author
- Works by A. Christoyannopoulos - hosted by Loughborough University Institutional Repository
- Was Jesus an anarchist? - interview with A. Christoyannopoulos by William Crawley, BBC Northern Ireland, May 2011
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 927: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).Template:France-academic-bio-stub