- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 28 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Amy_Garcia. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Amy_Garcia, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Amy_Garcia.
Amy Garcia is a presenter on the Yorkshire and North Midlands version of the BBC regional news programme, Look North.
Early life[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Garcia was born in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and attended Kettlethorpe High School in the city. After studying Media and Performing arts at Wakefield College, she left at 19 to go to London. Her first job was as a singer on a cruise ship and she later answered an advert for presenter work on children's television programmes.
Career[edit | hide | edit source]
Garcia had various jobs on children's television but also presented holiday and lifestyle programmes. She worked at Sky Television for two years before studying for an MA in journalism which led to a reporting and stand-in role on Look North in 2009. She then left to go south again and was a presenter on BBC South Today and also being one of the presenters of BBC Three's 60 Seconds. In 2013, Garcia moved back to Yorkshire and took over as co-presenter of BBC Look North after the BBC had sacked Christa Ackroyd. In 2014, Garcia, and Harry Gration her co-presenter on Look North, undertook a 241 miles (388 km) pushbike ride across Yorkshire in aid of Sport Relief.
Personal life[edit | hide | edit source]
Garcia's mother is English and her father is of Spanish descent; her parents run a curtain business in Wakefield together. Garcia is married to Tim; they met in London but he is from Mirfield in West Yorkshire. They have a daughter together, and moved back to the Wakefield area when she was offered the job on Look North.
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- Dawson, Jayne (22 November 2013). "Meet new BBC Look North presenter Amy Garcia". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "BBC Look North's new presenter is Wakefield's own Amy Garcia". Wakefield Express. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "BBC unveils Christa's replacement on Look North". The Yorkshire Post. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "BBC Look North's new presenter is Wakefield's own Amy Garcia". Wakefield Express. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "BBC unveils Christa's replacement on Look North". infoweb.newsbank.com. 26 October 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- "New Look North presenter appointed". BBC News. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "New Look North face takes up role". BBC News. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "BBC TV presenters' tandem challenge arrives in York". York Press. 18 March 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "The RTS Yorkshire Centre Awards 2019". Royal Television Society. 16 May 2019. Retrieved 29 August 2019.
- Dawson, Jayne (22 November 2013). "Sofa so good as Amy settles into hot seat at Look North". infoweb.newsbank.com. Retrieved 29 August 2019.