Amy Mothersbaugh Roos
Amy Mothersbaugh Roos (born February 12, 1962) is an American artist and gallerist, owner of the Studio 2091 Gallery located in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Her gallery exhibits works by local, national and international artists. She is also dedicated to developing the creative skills and promoting the artistic education of young people, notably in the Summit County region of Ohio. An accomplished artist herself, Mothersbaugh Roos was nominated by the Akron Zoo (Akron, Ohio) to execute nine large-scale murals which were completed in April 2012.
Mothersbaugh Roos organized a charitable exhibition in the city of Cuyahoga Falls in November 2010, the "Water Tile Project". It included over three hundred 6" x 6" painted tiles with contributions from ten states and two other countries. This project's objective was to raise money for The Nature Conservancy for Wildlife and Water Reclamation in the Gulf in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
Her gallery participates in local activities such as yarn bombing. She also contributed illustrations to a book about octopuses, Eight Arms of Inspiration; copies were sold at her gallery in conjunction with an exhibit featuring her work, Sirens and Sea Maidens.
In 2014, she placed third as the Best Local Fine Artist in Akron as nominated by readers of Akron Life Magazine.
Journey to the Reef[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Journey to the Reef is a large mural project is in place at the Akron Zoo and Aquarium. The mural was unveiled in May of 2012. Roos designed 10,000 square feet of murals depicting sea creatures and giving the illusion of underwater habitation. The project entailed 1,500 hours of work and was completed by Mothersbaugh Roos and a team of artists from the Cuyahoga Falls Community. The exhibition will be on view at The Akron Zoo for 4 to 5 years.
References[edit | hide | edit source]
- Urbanski, Daena (10 October 2011). "Jellyfish Out, Roos In! Amy Mothersbaugh-Roos Takes Over at the Akron Zoo Where the Jellyfish Exhibit Left Off". Youngstown Pulse. Archived from the original on 16 January 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Breckenridge, Mary Beth (18 October 2013). "Quirky Yarn Bombing Decorates Public Spaces". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Helms, April (3 March 2013). "Artist's Octopus Art Stretches to Book Project". Stow Sentry. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Yang, Hannah (12 December 2014). "The Best of the City 2014". Akron Life. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Schleis, Paula (24 May 2012). "Akron Zoo opening new reef exhibit". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Giallanza, Katie (7 April 2012). "Local Artist Amy Mothersbaugh Roos Paints the Zoo!". Ohio.com. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- Wendel, Kim (26 May 2012). "Akron Zoo Opened "Journey to the Reef" on Saturday". WKYC. Retrieved 25 September 2015.