Template:Spanish name Template:Infobox politician Andrea Natalia Aranda Escudero (born May 27, 1972) is a Chilean politician and midwife. Andrea Aranda is currently one of the Councillors of Pichilemu.
Political career[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Aranda was elected councillor of Pichilemu in 2008 with 491 votes (6.89 percent) from a total of 7,127 votes. She was re-elected in 2012 with 685 votes (9.56%). Previously in 2012, she attempted to run for mayor of Pichilemu, but lost primaries to Roberto Córdova, who was ultimately elected mayor.
Concertación primaries of 2012[edit | hide | edit source]
Incumbent mayor Roberto Córdova (Socialist Party) faced incumbent councillor Andrea Aranda (Party for Democracy) in primary elections held on 1 April 2012 in order to choose a unique candidate for mayor representing the Concertación de Partidos por la Democracia coalition of left-winged parties for the municipal elections on 28 October 2012.
Aranda was particularly criticized by local news media Pichilemu News as "being coincidentally the wife of former Christian Democrat mayor Jorge Vargas González (condemned by justice for the crime of bribery and the presentation of false witnesses), and who is –much to his regret– disallowed to continue [participating] in active politics, for now, but has the relief of the one following his steps." Provincial-newspaper El Expreso de la Costa qualified the election as "historic." Aranda's slogan was "With woman's strength" ("Con fuerza de mujer").
According to reports by local radio station Entre Olas, a van was parked outside the Escuela Digna Camilo Aguilar while the election was being held; the van painted with slogans such as "No more robbers at the Municipality" ("No más ladrones al municipio"), "Open your eyes" ("Abre tus ojos"), and "Don't sell yourself" ("No te vendas"). The owner of the van reportedly had a heated argument with Aranda's husband Jorge Vargas González, blaming him for "discrediting Pichilemu."
The final results showed Córdova winning with 1,903 votes (73.14%) in contrast to Aranda's 699 (26.86%).
References[edit | hide | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andrea Aranda Escudero.|
- Edición Marzo 2012 El Expreso de la Costa
- Saldías, Washington (31 March 2012). "Ciudadanía definirá este domingo los candidatos de la Concertación para las municipales". Pichilemu News (in Spanish). Pichilemu. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- Saldías, Washington (5 February 2012). "Pichilemu: partió carrera municipal para acceder a la alcaldía y al concejo". Pichilemu News (in Spanish). Pichilemu. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- Calderón, Félix (16 March 2012). "El Expreso de la Costa Marzo 2012". El Expreso de la Costa (in Spanish). Cardenal Caro Province. pp. 1, 4–5. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- Saldías, Washington (2 April 2012). "Alcalde Roberto Córdova 1903 votos, concejal Andrea Aranda 729 votos en primarias de la Concertación". Pichilemu News (in Spanish). Pichilemu. Retrieved 3 April 2012.