Life and career[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
Ehinger was raised in New York City, New York. In 1987 he graduated from Trinity School a private school on Manhattan's Upper West Side. He then attended Syracuse University graduating with a degree in Arts and Sciences with a concentration in Political Science from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
While at Syracuse Ehinger worked at WAER-FM as a reporter and then weekend morning anchor for the NPR affiliate. He also was the News Director for the campus television station UUTV which produced a 5 night a week half hour newscast. Campus 7 News was seen on the campus cable system in addition to being rebroadcast on the local Public-access television cable TV channel.
Ehinger's first full-time job in television news was at WTAJ-TV the CBS affiliate in Altoona, Pennsylvania, beginning in May 1992. While there as a general assignment reporter he covered major stories such as the crash of USAir Flight 427 outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Congressman Tom Ridge's campaign for Pennsylvania Governor.
From October 1995 to May 1997 Ehinger was the Winston-Salem, North Carolina, bureau chief for WFMY-TV in Greensboro, North Carolina. While there he covered such notable stories as the federal trial of Food Lion vs ABC (Prime Time Live) and numerous hurricanes. Ehinger also filled in as the weekend morning news anchor.
In May 1997 Ehinger moved to Atlanta, Georgia, to pursue a career as a freelance journalist until he landed a job at the Gwinnett Daily Post's cable news venture Gwinnett News and Entertainment Television (GNET). Beginning in January 1998 Ehinger ran the assignment desk at GNET in addition to reporting and anchoring full-time. He also served as the stations interim news director before leaving in December 1999.
Ehinger was hired at News 12 Long Island in December 1999 as a night and weekend reporter. Ehinger's reporting experience was quickly put into place covering the attacks on September 11, 2001. Ehinger was in Manhattan that morning and was one of the first News 12 reporters to arrive at the scene of the terror attacks. He reported from ground zero for News 12 Networks and the national news service CONUS for more than a month. His other notable stories were covering the Daniel Pelosi trial for the murder of East Hampton millionaire Ted Ammon, and hurricanes Frances, Ivan and Katrina. Ehinger covers the consumer beat for News 12 Long Island and in 2017 he won a New York Emmy Award in the Spot News category for coverage of historic floods on the South Shore of Long Island. Before that in 2014 he won a New York Emmy Award in the General Assignment category. In 2001 he also won a New York Emmy Award for an undercover investigation of full service gas stations. In addition to the consumer beat Ehinger also hosts a twice weekly feature called "The Download" (Facebook fan page) that focuses on new technology and consumer electronics. The highly stylized reports have become a popular segment on News 12 and is currently sponsored by GM/Chevrolet . "The Download" is one of the only features that is seen regularly on the other News 12 Network stations. In 2010 Ehinger was nominated for a New York Emmy Award for "The Download."
Awards & Honors[edit | hide | edit source]
- NATAS-NY 2017 Emmy Award Winner Spot News 
- NATAS-NY 2017 Emmy Award Nomination General Assignment Reporting 
- NATAS-NY 2014 Emmy Award Nomination General Assignment Reporting 
- NATAS-NY 2016 Emmy Award Nomination Spot News
- NATAS-NY 2014 Emmy Award Winner General Assignment Reporting 
- NATAS-NY 2014 Emmy Award Nomination Public / Current / Community Affairs Programming 
- NATAS-NY 2012 Emmy Award Nomination Public / Current / Community Affairs Story 
- NATAS-NY 2012 Emmy Award Nomination On-Camera Talent: Reporter - Specialty Assignment (The Download) 
- NATAS-NY 2011 Emmy Award Nomination Business / Consumer: Program Feature / Segment (The Download)
- NATAS-NY 2011 Emmy Award Nomination Crime: Programming 
- NATAS-NY 2010 Emmy Award Nomination Crime: News 
- NATAS-NY 2010 Emmy Award Nomination Societal Concerns: News 
- Long Island Press Club 2011 First Place Television Business/Economic/Financial News 
- Long Island Press Club 2009 First Place Television Business/Economic/Financial News 
- Long Island Press Club 2008 First, Second & Third Place Television Business/Economic/Financial News
- Long Island Press Club 2005 First Place Television Deadline News
- NATAS-NY 2004 Emmy Award Nomination Business / Consumer Reporting 
- NATAS-NY 2003 Emmy Award Nomination Business / Consumer Reporting 
- NATAS-NY 2001 Emmy Award Winner Business / Consumer Reporting 
- New York Press Club 2002 Special 9/11 Award – Best Television Continuing Coverage
- New York Festivals 2004 International Television Programming: News Special Report - Finalist
- Long Island Press Club 2003 First Place Television Consumer Reporting
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2003 Television Award for Merit
- New York State Masons 2002 DeWitt Clinton Community Service Media Award for 9/11
- Long Island Press Club 2002 First Place Television Consumer Reporting
- L.I. Coalition for Fair Broadcasting 2002 FOLIO Award First Place Consumer Reporting
- Associated Press of Georgia 1998 First Place General Reporting
- Radio/Television News Directors Association 1993 First Place Spot News NE Region
- Society of Professional Journalists 1992 First Place Television Breaking News
- Society of Professional Journalists 1992 First Place Television Feature
References[edit | hide | edit source]
http://www.andrewehinger.com (including AE Headshot Picture)