This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr Asit Chakrabarti (born 21 November 1963) is an Indian animal scientist. He is the current Director of Animal Resources Development Department (ARDD), Tripura and also serves as CEO of Tripura Livestock Development Authority (TLDA). Before this, he was Senior Scientist at the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), responsible for livestock and production management.
Early life and education[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
He was born in Kamalpur, a small town in the state of Tripura, North East India. His father Adhir Chakraborty was a government employee and his mother a homemaker. His primary schooling began at Kalachari JB School, Kamalpur and later moved to Harerkhola SB School. His higher secondary examination was completed from Kamalpur Govt. High School in the year 1981 and the following year he moved to Bhubaneswar, Odisha where he completed his graduation (B.V. Sc and A.H.) from Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology. He then traveled to Haryana from where he received his Master’s degree (M.V.Sc) from CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hissar. Later, he completed his Ph.D. from Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat.
Career[edit | hide | edit source]
He started as Veterinary Assistant Surgeon of Animal Resources Development Department under Government of Tripura. But, later moved as Assistant Professor at Kerala Agricultural University. He served a few years at ICAR branch of Tripura before moving as Scientist ‘C’ under Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, New Delhi in the year 2006. He served in this post for five years until 2011. In 2011, he joined as Senior Scientist of Indian Council of Agricultural Research where he served in the states of Bihar and Jharkhand till 2017.
On 18 December 2017 he returned back to his home state of Tripura where he joined as Director of Animal Resources Development Department (ARDD), Tripura and also as CEO of Tripura Livestock Development Authority (TLDA).
He has written and edited 8 books and 3 book chapters in respective field and published more than 33 research papers in national and international journal and 40 popular articles.
He has over 30 years of experience in livestock production management and in science communication.
Research and publications[edit | hide | edit source]
He has keen interest for animal science and thus his research highlights include pig, poultry, duck, rabbit, cattle, buffalo, goat production and management.
He has been a developer on Rabbit and Pig Production and Technology. He had also developed skills and knowledge on backyard poultry farming.
Publications[edit | hide | edit source]
- INHERITED POSTERIOR PARALYSIS IN CROSSBRED PIG – A CASE STUDY
- TRAUMATIC ESOPHAGITIS IN A CROSSBRED PIGLET - CASE STUDY.2016.
- FOOT DISORDERS OF GOATS (Capra hircus) IN BIHAR, INDIA.2016.
- WINTER COCCIDIOSIS IN A CALF – A CASE REPORT.2016.
- Teat and Udder Disorders in Goats (Capra hircus) in Bihar, India.2014
- Performance of Crossbred (Hampshire × Ghunghroo) Pigs Fed on Rice Polish Based Diets with or without Phytase.2014.
- Non-genetic factors affecting birth weight of shahabadi lambs.2015.
- Genetic polymorphism of bone morphogenetic protein receptor type- 1 gene in Black bengal goat and its association with litter size.2015.
- Improved feeding practices and importance of phytase supplements in pig farming.2014.
- Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas) - An Excellent Source of Livestock Feed. 2014.
Awards[edit | hide | edit source]
- ICCB–MSET Gold Medal & Senior Scientist Award- 2013 Under Prof. Jwala Prasad Memorial Chair for outstanding research contribution for advancement of scientific knowledge in the field of Life Sciences
- Reviewer Excellence Award from Indian Journal of Animal Research- NAAS Rating 6.04
- Best Paper Certificate Award for article - Asit Chakrabarti and Pankaj Kumar. 2016. INCIDENCES OF FOOT DISEASES OF CATTLE IN BIHAR, INDIA. International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research. 6(1): 267-272. NAAS Rating 3.53.
- Best Paper Certificate Award for article - Asit Chakrabarti and P C Chandran. 2016. FOOT DISORDERS OF GOATS (Capra hircus) IN BIHAR, INDIA. International Journal of Environment, Ecology, Family and Urban Studies. 6(1): 171-176. NAAS Rating 3.63.
Memberships and fellowships[edit | hide | edit source]
- Indian Society of Animal Production and Management
- Indian Society of Veterinary Medicine
- Recent Life Science Mirror
- Tripura Veterinary Association.
- Indian Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Research
Reviewer and editorial board memberships[edit | hide | edit source]
- Indian Journal of Animal Research- Reviewer
- International Journal of Applied and Natural Sciences – Editorial Board member
- American Journal of Experimental Agriculture- Editorial Board member
- International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research- Editorial Board member
- International Journal of Environment, Ecology, Family and Urban Studies- Editorial Board member
- International Journal of Agricultural Sciences - Editorial Board member
- International Journal of Environment, Ecology, Family and Urban Studies